Flushing–Main Street was originally built as a dual contract between the Interborough Rapid Transit Company (IRT) and the Brooklyn-Manhattan Transit Corporation (BMT). Its construction, which began on April 21, 1923, coincided with a vehicular bridge that crossed over the Flushing River. The station opened on January 21, 1928, completing the Flushing Line, sans plans for an eastbound extension (Raskin).
“Super express” service went into operation during morning rush hour on March 12, 1953, but in the decades to follow, the station deteriorated. During the 70s and 80s, winds over 65mph destabilized the structure and called for service closures. From 1985-89, significant structural improvements were made, including new tracks, and Flushing-Main Street was renovated in the 1990s. Today, Flushing-Main Street opens up to the downtown area, which is one of New York City's largest Asian enclaves (Wikipedia).
|Birthday||January 21, 1928|