Discontinued in 2010 due to MTA budget cuts, the W train was brought back out of retirement November 6 to replace Q service that ran through Queens. The Q will be rerouted on the Second Avenue Subway line, which is scheduled for a December opening.
For those of us affected in Queens, here’s what you need to know about the service changes:
- The Q Train has been moved to serve Manhattan and Brooklyn only.
- The W Train is taking place of the Q and runs local between Queens and Manhattan on weekdays.
- N service is express in Manhattan on weekdays, but runs local during late nights and weekends.
In a microsite found on the MTA’s website, the service changes are listed as follows:
- Weekdays (Mon-Fri), 6:30am-11pm: N & W service between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza
- Weekends (Sat-Sun), 6:30am-11pm: Only N service between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza
- Late Nights (Every Day), 11pm-6:30am: Only N service between Astoria-Ditmars Blvd and Queensboro Plaza
For more information, view a map of the new service routes on the MTA website.